Senator Janet Nguyen Introduces Bill to Improve Access to State Property Tax Postponement Program

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

In an effort to assist residents with property tax payments, California State Senator Janet Nguyen (R-Garden Grove) and State Controller Betty Yee  are pleased to announce the introduction of Senate Bill 151. SB 151 makes important changes that improve  access while enhancing the efficiency of the State’s Property Tax Postponement (PTP) Program for low-income and disabled Californians. Administered by the California State Controller’s Office, this program allows taxpayers, who have a higher risk of being unable to afford their property taxes, the opportunity to defer payment on their principal residence.

“Since the PTP program was reinstated last year, we have received many inquiries from residents regarding this deferred payment option,” said Senator Janet Nguyen. “Given the community’s interest in this program, I am proud to partner with State Controller Yee to introduce this legislation, which will not only make it make it easier to apply but will also alleviate the tax burden placed on homeowners during times of temporary hardship.”

To qualify for the PTP program, California property owners must be at least 62 years old, or blind, or have a disability, earn less than $35,500 annually, and have at least a 40 percent equity in their primary residence. Funding for the program is limited, and applications are currently being processed on a first-come first-served basis. Only current-year property taxes are eligible for postponement.

“The economic recovery has not reached every Californian, and property tax postponement is a useful tool to help address those inequalities by providing housing security for seniors and some of our most vulnerable residents,” said State Controller Betty T. Yee. “SB 151 will improve program functions so we can more efficiently assist homeowners.”

To check your eligibility, apply, or learn more about the program, visit, or call the State Controller’s Office at (800) 952-5661.